Our Palliative Care program provides clinical symptom management for people living with an advanced illness and emotional support for their families and caregivers. Palliative care is comprehensive care for patients of all ages, including children, who are living with a life-limiting illness. The focus of care is the alleviation of symptoms to provide comfort care as well as meeting the emotional and spiritual needs of patients and families.
Palliative care consults are provided by physicians and nurse practitioners who are specialists in pain and symptom management. These highly skilled specialists work closely with the patient’s primary physician and care team to offer consultations and provide options that enhance quality of life.
Goals of Palliative Care
- Enhance the quality of life by managing symptoms
- Provide emotional and spiritual support
- Coordinate a plan of care and establish an active support system
- Treat pain and alleviate suffering
- Provide choices in advance care planning
Where are Palliative Care Consultations provided?
- Patient’s own home
- Assisted Living Facilities
- Long-Term care facilities
- Oncology clinics
- Outpatient offices
How is Palliative Care different from Hospice?
- Can be provided earlier in the disease process than hospice
- Does not require a six-month prognosis
- Can be utilized with traditional or curative care
- Can be accessed while the patient is undergoing rehabilitation at a skilled nursing facility
- Provides physician and nurse practitioner consultations whereas hospice includes an array of services such as 24 hour support from the interdisciplinary Hospice Care Team, as well as durable medical equipment and medications
What are the costs associated with Palliative Care Consultations?
- Medicare, Medicaid, and most private insurance programs cover the costs of Palliative care consultations.
- Palliative care consultations do not preclude other providers from billing for their services.
- For people without reimbursement for healthcare, we provide charity care when needed.