Robert Zalenski, M.D., Director of Medical Affairs and Research for the Seasons Hospice Michigan program, was recently named the first system-wide Palliative Care Development medical director for Vanguard Health Systems. Dr. Zalenski will continue making a difference through his role at Seasons Hospice while he takes on his newly appointed duties with Vanguard.
Dr. Zalenski has advocated the development of holistic, patient- and family-centered hospice and palliative programs, and educating patients, families, and facility staff on the subject.
In 2010, Dr. Zalenski helped Seasons Hospice establish the state of Michigan’s first inpatient hospice care unit at Sinai-Grace Hospital in Detroit, the Rhea Heil Seasons Hospice Inpatient Unit. The 10-bed unit provides a comfortable, home-like setting for management of patient symptoms and for families to spend unlimited quality time with their loved one.
Dr. Zalenski’s roles in the hospice and palliative care community include:
- Director of the Rhea Heil Seasons Hospice Inpatient Unit at Sinai Grace Hospital;
- Brooks F. Bock Endowed Professor and Director of the Division of Palliative Medicine;
- Emergency Medicine, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, Michigan;
- Director, Center to Advance Palliative Care Excellence, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, Michigan;
- Board-certified in Emergency Medicine and Hospice and Palliative Medicine;
- Director of Palliative Care Development for the Vanguard Health System.
Read more on the Wayne State University coverage of Dr. Robert Zalenski’s appointment here: http://prognosis.med.wayne.edu/section/top-stories/1